Thursday, July 30, 2015

Time, the Pedernale mesa and Georgia


Time. A friend. 

During the artists' residency in New Mexico last fall, we spent the first six days at Ghost Ranch, smack dab in the middle of the vistas that populated much of Georgia O'Keefe's work. In the distance, the Pedernale mesa was ever present. As we went on various hikes, I would always try to situate myself in relation to it -- it felt like a magnetic force.

The Pedernale  was O'Keefe's favorite. She claimed it was her own land, and her ashes are scattered there. I understand the force now.

The piece pictured above is my homage to O'Keefe and her beloved land form. The sandblasted finish, I think, honors the mystery of place. I can't stop looking at it, the mesa (now in my photos only) and the glass. 

This is the first New Mexico themed piece I have created since the residency. A long incubation time -- our mentors Richard Parrish and Steve Klein said it might be some time before works came to us that would directly be born of the New Mexico experience. They were very wise indeed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...