Elation number one: today's sunrise, out my front door -- Pt. Mugu and the spectacular Pacific, top; the foothills, bottom:
Next, the rejection: my piece Cellular Structures: Microworlds was rejected by the Studio Art Quilt Associates "Points of View" juror.
Sniff, sniff. Now, here come the palliatives -- the rejection has enhanced my character, this closed door brings another...open door...but wait! The sunrise this morning, out my door, of course!
And the 'lemonade from lemons' one -- well, now I get to put the piece in my upcoming Buenaventura Art Association show. Okay, I have stopped licking my lemon-laden wounds.
But back to the elation! I successfully fired two new pieces in my kiln (read: no cracks or devitrification [cloudy stuff on the glass])! One is a bas-relief-y attempt to render my 'nude stitches' image in glass:
I had made a clear glass version of this for a piece I donated to the SAQA Auction.
I really like it in red, and will incorporate it into yet another piece based on this image, which I will print on either silk or cotton:
The second fused glass piece is based on my fave alstromeria creation:
A multicolored glass was used, again with an attempt at a bas relief representation, focusing on the tiger-like markings and the structure of the petals and leaves.
Here it is, straight out of the kiln:
The front does not "read" clearly, and since mounting these pieces in textile works prevents the use of light to illuminate the glass, I looked at the reverse side to see if that might work. Here are both sides, with a little help from the sun (top, the original image representation; bottom, reverse side representation):
I think the reverse side will work - the bas relief effect is visible sans light, as are the varied colors of the glass.
I will have to drill holes in these so the glass can be attached to fiber. There is always the risk of breakage --wish me luck!
Inspiration in the face of rejection. A "good thing," as Martha (Stewart) would say...
A mock-up of the pieces and their forbears: