Wednesday, October 21, 2009

college words


Before a midterm or final essay exam in college, I used to peruse the dictionary in search of a new word which I would then try to incorporate into my writing. In those days, my short term memory was firmly intact, so this was not a dicey proposition. Only SAT or post-SAT-word-list candidates were committed to memory: perspicacity, nonplussed, ostensibly -- good words for an undergraduate history major indeed.

And of course in my biology classes, new words abounded. In this photo, three epiphytic plants decorate this lovely tree, living off the air as is their way. Each has a distinct texture and hue, all a pleasing counterpoint to the rust colored bark of their host.

A very ... fascinating ... scene ... or is there a better word?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...