Monday, February 7, 2011

transparency redux

Here's a detail photo of my latest piece, a donation to our county medical center's fundraising group, the Ventura County Medical Resource Foundation. It will be sold to the highest bidder at an auction during their upcoming awards dinner. Past donations have helped in the purchase of equipment for the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit -- an undeniably worthy cause.

Here is the entire piece, mounted on Plexiglas:


I am continuing to explore transparency, here using silks I hand-dyed, and a fused glass piece that I designed to have a small transparent "window," through which another image could be viewed.

Behind that little windowlet is a piece of silk organza printed with a drawing I made of a woman in a kimono --

I had scanned that pencil drawing into the computer and digitally painted the image. I then printed that image on the silk organza. (I have used a more elaborate version of this drawing on earlier pieces.)

The seams on this piece are again my own version of Korean pojagi seams -- the seam itself becomes an element in the overall design.

I photographed this piece on our green kitchen table, so that is the color seen in the 'borders' of the Plexiglas. Whoever buys it will control what color shows through the transparencies, depending on whatever surface this piece eventually adorns. Let's hope it helps the hospital buy more equipment!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...