Wednesday, April 6, 2011
wowie zowie mounting method!
While all the excitement continues with the workshop-raising, we are putting the final touches on our bathroom remodel -- including hanging stuff on the steel-blue-hued walls.
When testing out stitching styles for my last textile enterprise, I had made a practice piece -- three layers, unfinished. It was just lollygagging on my design wall. Then -- "Zounds!" I thought! It can go in the new bathroom! But there was a problem -- if I put on a facing or a binding, I would cut off a crucial part of the piece.
What to do? Since it was just a practice piece, I decided to try to mount it a new way, which would allow me to leave the edges raw. It would, however, require gluing it the backing down permanently. No loss, right? It was just a practice piece.
I wanted to glue the piece down to a piece of foam core, cut smaller than the piece by 1/2 " on each side. The foam core would then be mounted on stretcher bars. I took it to my brilliant framing friend Jim, owner of Museum Quality Framing in Camarillo (I have no financial interest there), who came up with a better solution.
He glued the piece down to masonite, and then mounted that on a metal frame. A hanging wire attaches to the frame. Here's a close look:
The piece floats on the wall:
So here it is -- as you can see, I placed the figure so she was going "off the page" -- and if I had added a facing or a binding, her eyes would have been lopped off...not an option! So now my practice piece floats on our new bathroom wall -- and I have a new mounting method!