Thursday, August 18, 2011
So, I made this new piece. As is always the case, I learned a bunch from it.
The piece has four+ layers. I started with a vanilla-colored opalescent base, as I wanted a neutral background for the layers to follow. Next came two layers of clear transparent. Then the large wavy shapes came, each glued down to the transparent glass so they would stay put during the firing stage.
The small black lines came next, and then a problem popped up. I didn't know whether I could leave the open spaces between the glued-down wavy pieces of glass. It was possible that the shapes would be lost in the fusing process, melting into each other into one hot mess.
A solution would be to cover the area with frit, a type of crushed glass. This would fill in the spaces and, I hoped, preserve my design.
Frit comes in many sizes. I used the wrong one. The result is...yes, my shapes are preserved, but there are bubbles, which some might opine take away from the overall effect. (Frit) size matters.
I have not decided yet what to do with this piece, whether it's worthy of further working. I do know that next time I go to the glass store, I will buy some large-sized frit.