Thursday, September 22, 2011

album cover art show

Our Ventura Bell Arts Factory is sponsoring a juried show featuring music album cover art. Artists were asked to create a 12" x 12" design for a real or imagined album cover.

I will have two pieces in the show. For the Paul Simon song "Homeless," I used one of the photos I took of James when I was working on my art quilt on homelessness for the SAQA exhibit on that topic. James jokingly refers to his shopping cart as his "luggage," and this photo shows some of the contents -- pieces of foam rubber James sometimes uses for sleeping, and other belongings James keeps in plastic bags.

I printed this image on cotton, layered it with batting and backing, and hand stitched it with cotton thread.

My second album cover pays homage to the classic 1979 Heinz ketchup commercial that featured Carly Simon's "Anticipation." The song was played as two boys covered their hamburgers with the thick tasty red stuff slowly oozing out of the Heinz ketchup bottle-- you can watch that commercial here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLoyg3JKRQ

For the Carly Simon faux album cover, one of my earlier drawings seemed to convey "Anticipation,"  so I printed that image on cotton, and after layering it with batting and batting, I machine stitched it with both cotton and clear monofilament thread.

 The show runs from October 7 through 29 at the Tool Room Gallery at the Bell Arts Factory, 432 North Ventura Avenue, Ventura.

2 comments:

Thearica said...

Love your art pieces! Can anyone enter a piece made from an album?

Pamela Price Klebaum said...

Thank you, Thearica. Yes, it is open to anyone. You can see the particulars at http://toolroomgallery.com. The online entry deadline is tomorrow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...