Saturday, September 15, 2012

end of the run, but not the end

                          Silent Chain, detail

Tomorrow is the final day of the SAQA exhibition on homelessness at Loveland Museum and Gallery, in Loveland, Colorado. My piece "Silent Chain" was based on photos I took of a local homeless man, James, whom I have come to know. I donated the piece to the Museum and they will use profits from sale towards their own charitable causes.

It's been two and a half years since I met James and photographed him. I spend time with him periodically, and we have developed a hybrid variety of friendship over these years. Much of what I have gleaned from this relationship has enriched me in a way that defies description; much of what I have learned has left me sad and disheartened, but then again, buoyed by James' refusal to complain about his lot in life.

2 comments:

Lora Martin said...

Your comments about James are inspiring. Sometimes when I contemplate the circumstances of some lives, it leaves me stunned and in awe of their perserverance.

Pamela Price Klebaum said...

I thank you for these thoughts. This piece changed me, and I am so grateful, my friend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...