Monday, March 23, 2009

in lock step


When last seen, the chocolate brown area on the left was a blank slate. Some version of the central image, Silvergirl, was destined to fill the gap -- yesterday's blog showed the Kinko's-made enlargement.

I wanted to paint the image on the cloth. I found some liquid acrylic paint -- two colors, copper and bronze. I then used my trusty disposable scalpels and cut out the image's pieces, making the blow-up a giant stencil.

A soft paint roller fit the bill -- I drew a line of each acrylic color on a piece of Plexiglas and combined the two with the roller. Placing the "stencil" over the fabric, I painted the image.

The initial result was good, but there was too much blank space -- the answer was to have Silvergirl's hair overflow to fill the area above her. I continued that motif below her face, and then continued it, sparingly, around the elements. I thought that in this way, the piece would be unified.

In this photo, the edges are folded back for a look-see at how the final image might read. Hmm..that open area below the face? Love it or leave it???

2 comments:

Diane Cransac said...

This piece is looking great. What a creative blending of mediums! I love your solution with the silver girl. It works.

Anonymous said...

The development of this piece is elegant...nice repetition of the images and just love the solution on the chocolate brown area...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...