Friday, August 28, 2009

frasier the phoenix crane


I experimented with a new glass fusing method and, much to my amazement, it worked! Introducing...Frasier the Phoenix Crane! I hope to incorporate this piece into a work that uses material harvested from old obis, playing on the Japanese theme of the crane.

An interesting chemical reaction occurs between some glass colors when they are fused adjacent to or with each other -- look at where the blue and amber meet. There is a wonderful (to me, anyway!) dark line there -- that is the result of the chemical reaction. I was hoping for that line.

The crane itself is raised from the flat glass below, appearing like an embossed image. I will play in the future and try to get more definition, but I must say, I did not expect this method to work, so I am full of giggles and smiles today.

4 comments:

Gerrie said...

Love this in color.

Sue Reno said...

This is really beautiful and magical, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Lynn said...

I've been following your blog for a few months. I love your work! How did you get the lines in Fraiser? I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Pamela Price Klebaum said...

Thank you for the compliment! The green lines are in the glass -- it comes with those lines already in it, lucky me!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...