Wednesday, September 23, 2009

adventures in glass


...working again with my "craftsman willow tree" textile, I fashioned a fused glass piece to accompany the textile -- however, I had a bit of an 'off' firing...


When I opened the kiln, I discovered that a piece had broken off during firing (and I think I know why) -- but, fortunately, the design was off center, so I can use a tile saw and cut the left side off where indicated, and grind the edge down so it matches the others. The dimensions are 8" x 12" now.

Here is the more abstract design this was to accompany:


Now, with those two designs next to each other, those who initially "saw" a giraffe or a man in a shawl cannot deny that this silkscreened image a willow tree!!!

The glass is composed of two layers -- the opalescent red and black swirl, which I placed over a layer of clear. The piece is quite heavy, too much so, methinks, for a wall piece. However, I can see some tasty hors d'oeuvres served on this glass (teeny puff pastry squares, how Martha Stewart!).

Or I could mount it on copper or another metal and make it a wall piece. Hmmm, I think I need a website where I could try to sell this stuff...

...speaking of selling, my SAQA auction piece sold!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...