Thursday, April 29, 2010

...and processing


As I prepare what will be some of the elements of my entry in the SAQA homelessness exhibit, I am exploring how I can use my photographs most effectively. I have been moved by this whole process, and want to convey the gravity of what I have experienced -- not an experience unique to me, of course, or unique to my subject Thomas -- but an experience that art has the possibility to make palpable.

After I created the crop of the hand and bench, above, I changed it to black and white. To this I added a "fill" layer in a sepia tone, a the hue of dirt, which I felt would convey the difficulties the homeless face in maintaining a clean life.

My Epson printer came through with aplomb, in both cotton sateen and in a sheer.The photo above is on the sateen, and the detail is astounding. I am not sure how I am going to use the sheer. Here are two possibilities:


The double-image created by the sheer certainly alters the message, but I am not quite sure what that message is. Any comments would be deeply appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way the 2nd image looks with the sheer. The one on the bottom. There is a lot of feeling that comes from it... I think you're on the right track. Thanks for sharing your process with Thomas. Of course you approached the matter with sensitivity and gratitude.

Lynn said...

I also prefer the second one. It seems to portray the feeling of "unbalance." I'm not sure that is really the word I want, but it's late and I'm tired. Maybe what I mean is that the blurred image portrays the "shakiness of life." I'm sure you will do something wonderful with this image.

Judy Rys said...

Great photo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...