Wednesday, April 28, 2010
I am working on the design for my "homeless theme" piece. I am thinking of using paper lamination, a process in which a photocopy is attached to a sheer fabric using a matte medium.
The photo above shows the first step, after the matte medium has dried. This is then immersed in water:
The goal of this process is to remove the photo, so it appears ragged, or fragmented. I thought this would be appropriate for my subject matter. Unfortunately, my results were not good -- I could not remove much of the photo.
Here it is, photo side up, sheer underneath:
Here it is as it would appear right side up:
I will get some taupe sheer and try another lamination, maybe using less matte medium.
Yesterday I went back to see Thomas, the homeless man who is the subject of this current work. Among other things, I took him a print of a photo I had taken of him last week -- a nice crop of his face, taken slightly from below. I was touched when he was visibly happy with the photo. Maybe thrilled. That was good.